Sunday 12 March 2017

Lenten Devotion - March 12

March 12, 2017

(excerpted from free indeed: devotions for Lent 2017, Augsburg Fortress, Minneapolis)




The Creed:  The First Article

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.

What is this? or What does this mean?

I believe that God has created me together with all that exists.  God has given me and still preserves my body and soul: eyes, ears, and all limbs and senses; reason and all mental faculties.

To Ponder:

I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self-indulgent.  
Caring for myself is an act of survival.   - Audre Lorde, A Burst of Light

Created in God's Image:

Believing that God created all makes a difference in how we interact with each other and with creation.  We begin to see that everything and everyone is sacred, reflecting the beauty, depth, and breadth of God.  Sometimes this reality is easier for me to grasp than another one - that I too am not only created by God but actually created in God's image.  This truth can be daunting because I struggle with my own worth and enoughness.  To believe that a bit of the divine resides in me means that the totality of my existence has the capacity to reflect the love, compassion, and humility that define the very character of God.

I'm learning that embracing the truth that God has created all and flows through all - including me - requires that I surrender to the fact that I am worthy and enough.  It invites me to care for all aspects of myself in ways that honour the person who God created.  It's not a selfish act to take time for myself.  Rather, it's a practice of believing that the fullness of who I am requires attention so I may be of service to the world.

Prayer:

Creator God, I believe in my head that I am created in your image, but my heart struggles to embrace the truth.  Help my unbelief.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment