Sunday 12 March 2017

Lenten Devotion - March 11

March 11, 2017

(excerpted from free indeed: devotions for Lent 2017, Augsburg Fortress, Minneapolis)




What then does God say about all these commandments?

God says the following, "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

What is this? or What does this mean?

God threatens to punish all who break these commandments.  Therefore we are to fear his wrath and not disobey these commandments.  However, God promises grace and every good thing to all those who keep these commandments.  Therefore we also are to love and trust him and gladly act according to his commands.

To Ponder:

"But now," says the Once-ler, ...
"UNLESS someone like you 
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not."    - Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Love and the law:

How do you react to the Once-ler's words?  The way we respond to words of law and command can vary a lot from person to person, from situation to situation.

I used to have terrible insomnia and would like in bed and replay every horrible thing I'd ever said or done.  I called it my "Movie of Shame".  I told a colleague about it, and she said, 
"Well, that's pretty arrogant of you.  If you're going to insist on hanging on to your guilt, what on earth do you need Jesus for?"

I was reminded of God's trustworthy love; I was made glad.  Over time, the movie stopped.  With a no-nonsense word of law, my colleague had shown me the gospel.  God doesn't give us las to torment us.  God gives us law because God loves us and wants us to live with each other and God in healthy, loving ways.

Prayer:

Loving God, when we are weighed down by guilt and shame, free us.  Forgive us, teach us to forgive, and teach us to live in healthy, life-giving ways.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment