Saturday 31 October 2015

Turn Back!


Scripture:

Ezekiel 33:11
"Say to them, As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from their ways and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?"

Observation:

This little gem is hidden in the midst of the bigger passage, Ezekiel 32:17-33:20. The amazing thing is, the first section of that passage is a taunt song aimed at some of the enemies of Israel. 

The main take away today is that, although God does bring judgement and punishment at times, these are never God's first action not are they God's final word. For God, judgement is not meant primarily to achieve justice through the doling out of just deserts. Rather, God's righteous acts of judgement and punishment are always and only tools of last resort through which to guide us into repentance and re-entrance into the reign of God. 

Application:

It is too easy to come to snap judgements over people. It is too easy to write people off. 
Today I hear God asking me to see my "enemies" as God does. 

Prayer:

Give us this day our daily bread; and, forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. 

Lord grant me the grace to love those who are hard to love and to be bolder about sharing my faith with those you raise up to me as Persons of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment