Saturday 31 October 2015

Is it ever a cop out to "leave it all in God's hands"?


Scripture:

Psalm 119:105-109

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
to observe your righteous ordinances.
107 I am severely afflicted;
give me life, O Lord, according to your word.
108 Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord,
and teach me your ordinances.
109 I hold my life in my hand continually,
but I do not forget your law.

Observation:

Thanks to a popular worship song, verse 105 is the best known verse in this passage; but, it is verse 109 that demands my attention today.

It brings to mind the phrase, "taking matters into one's own hands". As such it seems to indicate a tension alive in the experience of the psalmist. On the one hand, the viability of possible actions and choices are illumined by the word and law of God. On the other hand, there is a tendency to want to "take matters into one's own hands" thus exercising will and control over the situation.

There is a simplistic interpretation to be had here about, "letting go and letting God." It wants to squash the tension in the interest of a straight forward, once-for-all answer. I do not find it very compelling, perhaps neither does the psalmist.

What if verse 109 is less a confession of failing to "let go and let God" and more a resolute statement of faith on the part of one who is determined to practise the agency that is the birthright of a free will? "I will and must decide where to place my next step, Oh Lord. In doing so, I shall not forget your law."

Application:

One of the benefits of this discipline (daily bible devotions) is that my memory is constantly challenged and refreshed with respect to God's law and will. As a result, the 1000's of decisions - small and large - that I must make each day are far more likely to be made "in the light" of a conscious effort to hear a word from the LORD and do something by way of responding to that word.

Today, I am learning that it is God's will, and an amazing privilege, to hold my life in my hand. Today I am learning to grip my life a little more loosely exercising less control and more guardianship over all God has seen fit to bless me with.

Prayer:

Dear Jesus, You have called me to repent and believe. I repent of actions and choices that can only be made out of a willful ignorance of your law. I believe you have freed us to be free and to take our lives into our own hands not in order to squander them, nor to horde them, but to share them in ways that wage peace and increase justice even as we thrive upon love. Thank you for illuminating my path and for walking always with me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment