Wednesday 19 August 2015

Traditions: Take a pass; or, Pass along?


Scripture: 


2 Thessalonians 3:6-13
6 Now we command you, beloved,[g] in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from believers who are[h] living in idleness and not according to the tradition that they[i] received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us; we were not idle when we were with you, 8 and we did not eat anyone’s bread without paying for it; but with toil and labor we worked night and day, so that we might not burden any of you. 9 This was not because we do not have that right, but in order to give you an example to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this command: Anyone unwilling to work should not eat. 11 For we hear that some of you are living in idleness, mere busybodies, not doing any work. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. 13 Brothers and sisters,[j] do not be weary in doing what is right.

Observation:

This passage catches my attention for two reasons today. First, it convicts me. In a day when churches across the land are shrinking and closing, does it remain a viable model of ministry to have professional pastors eating up large portions of church budgets? That is a complicated question, one I won't endeavour to answer here because I think the invitation of the Spirit is simply to ponder the question a while. 

What are the benefits and costs to paying Pastors to be full-time, professional leaders within the church? 

I would be very interested to hear your responses to this question.

The other bit in this passage that catches me up is this:
"This was not because we do not have that right (to be compensated for their leadership), 
but in order to give you an example to imitate."
I wonder how my/our responses to the first question might be modified by this second point? You see the leap is from a perspective of justifiable rights and expectations for individuals to a perspective of what is good for the community as a whole and necessary if that community is going to grow through an emphasis on multiplicative discipleship.

Application:

I am learning that the role of a disciple of Jesus Christ is not to build or maintain a church, but to nurture and multiply disciples. In this shift, as I learn to be more effective in discipling others, I am learning that sometimes I need to move past perfectly acceptable ways of doing things and into practices that are more difficult for me because these practices make it easier for others to: i) see what I am doing; ii) discern whether or not what I am doing looks like what Jesus did/does; and, iii) imitate me as I imitate Jesus.

Today, I need to take a look at everything I do and ask myself some questions: 

Do I need to do this? If so, is there someone else I could invite to work with me?

Am I leading in ways that make it clear to others where we are going and how they can follow, step-by-step?

How will I feel/react as others gain capacity and begin to do some of the work that used to be confined to me? How might others feel/react?

Prayer:

Jesus, you are an incredibly trusting servant-leader! Some days (okay, most days) I just can't believe that you have called us together to continue your work of being your church - the Divine presence manifest in the world. Wow! Thanks! Help! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment