Saturday 22 August 2015

Feel the Burn!


Scripture:

Jeremiah 20:9
9 If I say, “I will not mention him,
or speak any more in his name,”
then within me there is something like a burning fire
shut up in my bones;
I am weary with holding it in,
and I cannot.

Observation:

Jeremiah is weary. He has been called and given words of prophetic judgement to deliver to the people of Jerusalem (and all of Judah). Not surprisingly - people being people - they did not receive those words of correction well. They taunt and mock him. In this passage he is arrested and put in the public stocks to be shamed.

Jeremiah has every reason to quit. The passage even tells us that his friends are conspiring to "help" him reject the call of God. This section of Jeremiah marks the rock bottom for both the prophet and the people. The "word of the Lord" he bears to the people will shift from punishment to promise (once they are broken) and he will go on to become one of the most cherished prophets in the history of the people of God. But first, the long night of the soul. Jeremiah feels he can no longer endure the cost of discipleship, yet he despairs the agony of not heeding the word of the Lord - kindled like a coal fire within his belly.

Application:

One of the benefits of reading and re-reading scripture is that I have become familiar with its larger movements and themes. On its face, this passage from Jeremiah is bleak to the extreme: Jeremiah is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. But, I know the story doesn't end here. I know that Jeremiah proves - because of God's faithfulness - stronger than he ever imagined.

Again and again, I have read in scripture that the dawn is preceded by the darkest night.  
To paraphrase Matthew's gospel (chapter 4) as it 
paraphrases the prophet Isaiah (chapter 9):

"The people walking (living) in darkness have seen a great 

light. On those living in the land of the shadow of death a 

light has dawned."

Knowing this great sweep of the salvation-history of God at work in the world helps me greatly to bear any darkness and discouragement that comes my way. As dark as it gets, I know that God is present. As discouraged as I get, I know the story gets better.

How about you? Where are you at in the unfolding story of God's plan for your life?  
Ready to quit? Crying out for release from the task at hand?  
Feeling the burn of a word from the Lord that needs to be acted upon?

Wherever you are. You are not alone. You are a vital character in God's great and unfolding plan to recreate and redeem all the cosmos. Hold on. The dawn is come!

Prayer:

Dear Lord, when I am honest, I know I cannot bear the full weight of your call upon my life. I am too reliant upon the opinions of fickle friends, not disciplined enough, too selfish, not wise enough.
Thank you that I do not have to bear it alone! Thank you for family. Thank you for communities of faith and encouragement that show me how worthy following you is - especially Vern, Debra, Rose, Kim, Jayson, Ernie, Michael, Tim, Ed, Amy, Heidi, Sharon, and Tiffany. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment