Saturday 5 September 2015

I've Got You Covered!


Scripture:

Jeremiah 34:17-18
17 Therefore, thus says the Lord: You have not obeyed me by granting a release to your neighbors and friends; I am going to grant a release to you, says the Lord—a release to the sword, to pestilence, and to famine. I will make you a horror to all the kingdoms of the earth.18 And those who transgressed my covenant and did not keep the terms of the covenant that they made before me, I will make like[a] the calf when they cut it in two and passed between its parts: ...

Observation:

Good luck figuring out what the above verse means unless you are either: a) an expert in covenanting rituals in the Ancient Near East, or, b) at least familiar with Genesis 15.

On the surface, it sounds like a mafia style threat against those who would betray or defy God. But such an interpretation misses the point of covenant, namely: two (or more) entities (individuals or nations) are joined in a manner that creates or births a new entity. So, the blood involved in the various ceremonies is not meant to signify death, but birth. To drive the point home, the slaughtered animals are cut in two and the covenanting parties pass through them in a manner that evokes the messy and holy birth process itself. Sure, death is present in the ritual, but it is being subjected as opposed to being elevated.

Being heirs of the covenant between God and the whole people of God, we stand under the powerful covering of divine protection and providence. Its a pretty sweet deal. Our part of the covenant is to offer our full allegiance and devotion. God does not break covenant. So, when we fail to live up to our part of the relationship, we are not punished or threatened by God. We through our own broken free will, foolishly step out from under God's covering and are subjected to the attacks of the enemies of God.

Application:

Today is a rainy, decidedly fall-ish day where I live.  

The passage has me picturing walking with God in the rain.  

My Father faithfully holds his umbrella over me: 

covering me, protecting me, even guiding me using the 

boundary between wet and dry created by his loving efforts.  

I am free to step away from this sanctuary, and I do more

often than I care to admit. When I do, I get wet.  

Each time I find myself soggy and fearful, 

I look to God and am beyond surprise that the invitation 

remains open to walk once more.

Prayer:

Lord, grant me the good sense to stay warm and dry by your side this day and always. I rather listen to your songs and stories than go puddling about anyway! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment