Saturday 20 June 2015

There's a New Sheriff in Town

Today I read through all the assigned readings in my devotional and felt a giant "whoosh". I wish I could say it was the Holy Spirit moving powerfully into the neighbourhood of my brain and heart. Alas, the sound was numerous passages of holy scripture zooming over my head.

Does this every happen to you? You read the words on the page, but for whatever reason they fail to connect.

I find Paul's letters to be like that oftentimes - especially when I am reading them in smaller sections. The arguments are so involved and dynamic that it can be all-too easy to lose track of the forest through the trees.

When that happens, sometimes switching to a new translation can help. On days like today when I am feeling particularly dense, I turn to one of two favourites - The Message, or the Amplified version. Today I turned to The Message and I am so glad I did.

By the way, if you are not a raging church nerd with numerous Bible translations available in hard copy, you might want to check out this website:
https://www.biblegateway.com

It will let you search, study and read scripture in tons of translations for free! We like free.

Scripture:

Galatians 2:15-3:5 (The Message)
19-21 What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn’t work. So I quit being a “law man” so that I could be God’s man. Christ’s life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not “mine,” but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that.

Observation:  

I grew up dreaming of being a cowboy. In the tales of the Wild West, the "Law men" were often the heroes who brought order to chaos with their strength and resolve. According to the rules of the "world as it is" "Law men" are esteemed and powerful. But the King of Heaven is not impressed by even the squarest jawed sheriff.
I am tired of "working my head off" to try and impress God and bring order to the chaos of this world and my own life. Thankfully, in Jesus Christ, there is a new Sheriff in town. This Sheriff has received authority to command the elements, cast out demons, heal the sick and forgive the sinful. And, although the Sheriff won't tolerate any challenges to his badge, he does seem to be looking for faithful deputies he can trust.

Application

Thanks to Eugene Petersen's knack for bringing the teachings of scripture into evocative language that connects to my reality, I am reminded today that faith is not about mastery. I do not need to master scripture any more than I can master a volcano. I do not have to grasp God's big plan for my life or yours. I am free to follow the marching orders of my Sheriff.

Wanna try it? Follow me as I follow Him.

Prayer:

Jesus, you are the Way and the Truth and the Light. Help me to follow obediently; to question humbly, and to see clearly. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment