Monday 2 March 2015



Scripture:

Acts 31:22 


I had said in my alarm, 
“I am driven far from your sight.” 
But you heard my supplications 
when I cried out to you for help.

Philippians 4:6

6 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving 

let your requests be made known to God.

Observation:

One of the insights I appreciate about the 3DM approach to discipleship and mission is,
"Language creates culture."

Language is a strong carrier of common experiences and values. But in times of rapid cultural change some words can become empty. That is to say, words are not powerful in and of themselves. They are really only helpful to the degree they remain "meaning-full". Moreover, we need to be careful when building new cultures that the words we are using do not hold residual meaning that undercuts what we are trying to accomplish. 

I say all this because, today the word: "supplication" occurs twice in the Moravian texts. What does this word mean? More importantly, is it still a meaningful word in our context, or is it more of a leftover relic from the days of the culturally privileged church?

First, supplication is prayer; but, it connotes a certain type of prayer - one wherein a favour or mercy is asked (or begged) from ones superior. So, the word supplication helps us to understand that part of prayer is to humble ourselves, acknowledge our neediness and ask God to provide. It also seems to be a type of prayer that requires me to speak to God (verbally, or through the intercession of others). The promise of the action is that God is faithful and hears such prayers. 

Application:

This all makes the Philippians quote clearer.  

Do not be anxious (or worried) about anything. 


When I encounter struggle in this life (and I will, especially as I follow Jesus), I am not to turn inwardly trying to handle it on my own. Simple, but hard. 

Rather, "in everything by prayer (might this emphasize a prior move in prayer that is more passive in that it is focussed on listening to the Lord as opposed to talking to the Lord) and supplication with thanksgiving (here another dimension of prayer is added, perhaps to help us unlock the hopeful energy that is the fruit of the spiritual practice of gratitude) let your requests be made known to God."

Today I hear the Lord inviting me to a richer practice of abiding through prayer that is multidimensional. Too often I pray a litany of requests without taking time to listen. Too often I fail to give thanks for the many and various ways by which God is continuously revealing Godself to be faithful in my life. 

Prayer:

Dear God, I'm cashing in my anxiety chips. 


I want to spend my time in more fruitful endeavours. 

Grant me ears to hear You as I listen, 

gratitude to celebrate how you respond, and an open heart 

that is ready to intercede for my neighbours after the same 

fashion as Your Holy Spirit intercedes for us. 

Thanks for hearing. I anticipate your response. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment