Monday 12 January 2015



Scripture: 

1Chron 10:3-4 "The battle pressed hard on Sau; and the archers found him, and he was wounded by the archers. Then Saul said to his armour bearer, "Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, so that these uncircumcised may not come and make sport of me." But his armour-bearer was unwilling, for he was terrified. So Saul took his own sword and fell on it.

Observation:

The versions of these events detailed in 1 Chronicles are much shorter than the same events described in 1 Samuel. The author(s) of 1 Chronicles is far less interested in painting a full picture of Saul at his best and worst. Instead, in Chronicles we get an unflattering and brief account of Saul as an unfaithful King, who is then contrasted to the faithfulness of David and Solomon (who's own faults are minimized in Chronicles). Verse thirteen tells us what the "chronicler" really wants us to know about Saul, "So Saul died for his unfaithfulness; he was unfaithful to the Lord in that he did not keep the command of the Lord; moreover, he had consulted a medium, seeking guidance, and did not seek guidance from the Lord."

Although chosen and anointed by God to be King over Israel - Saul too often relied upon his own strength and wits to formulate direction for himself and Israel. I wonder today if the example of Saul accepting defeat at the hands of the Philistines and choosing to end his life on his own terms rather than risk falling into the hands of his enemies is merely the final step in the direction he had been walking for years?

Application:

One of the most difficult things about discipleship for me is that it involves regularly "waiting upon the Lord". Although I am not the most impatient person in the world, I am certainly not immune to the impulse to forge ahead and "get things done". However, whenever I sacrifice the prior for the later, the results tend to leave a lot to be desired.

What about you? Can you think of a time where you took a "ready-fire-aim" approach instead of spending a little more time to clarify your calling? How did it work out?

In particular, Saul's story is a cautionary tale for us wherever we are tempted to fall into despairing defeat at the hands of our enemies. How might we encourage and challenge one another to rely more fully upon God - in high times and low times - to be the source and direction for all our actions?

Prayer:

Dear Lord, I come before you wounded from falling too many times upon my own sword. Sometimes I have done this purposefully because of despair and fearfulness. Other times I have stabbed myself and others accidentally out of an impatient need to act without direction. Lord, I want to take my lead from you. I want to exchange my despair for inexhaustible hope; and my fearfulness for courageous vulnerability. Be the source of these things, as you are the source of all good things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment