Thursday 4 May 2017

IMHO

Of Thinking Humbly of Oneself
Chapter Two - The Imitation of Christ - Thomas à Kempis


What profit is knowledge without the fear of God?  Better is a lowly peasant who serves God than a proud philosopher who watches the stars and neglects the knowledge of himself.  He who knows himself well is vile in his own sight, neither does he regard the praises of men.  If I knew all the things that are in the world and were not walking in love, how would it help me before God, who is to judge me according to my deeds?

Rest from excessive desire for knowledge, 
for therein is found much distraction and deceit. 

Those who have knowledge desire to appear learned and to be called wise.  There are many things to know that provide little or no profit to the soul.  And foolish is he who focuses on things other than those that contribute to his soul's health.  Many words do not satisfy the soul, but a good life refreshes the mind, and a pure conscience gives great confidence.

The greater and more complete your knowledge, the more severely will you be judged, unless you have lived righteously.  Therefore do not be prideful about any skill or knowledge that you have.  If it seems to you that you know many things and understand them well, know also that there are many more things that you do not know.  Why do you desire to lift yourself above another, when there are many more knowledgeable and more skilled in the scriptures than you?  If you want to know and learn anything beneficial, love to be unknown and to be counted as nothing.

The best and most profitable lesson is when a man truly knows and judges himself humbly.  
To think humbly of one's self and to think always kindly and highly of others, 
this is great and perfect wisdom.  

Even if you see your neighbour sin openly or grievously, you ought not to consider yourself better than he, for you know not how long you will keep your integrity.  All of us are weak and frail; consider no man more frail than yourself.

Observation:

More often than I'd like to admit I suffer from an affliction sometimes called, "paralysis by analysis."
It is a form of fearfulness that presents as perfectionism.  Basically, I balk at starting something until I have an entire window of time that will allow me to complete the entire task in one setting.  On top of this I tell myself that I can't start until ... (until I have read that next book ... until I am much better at a given task than I am now ... until true inspiration strikes ...).  The funny thing is, when I am really struggling with this life-sucking combination of immature character traits and not-so-helpful habits it doesn't look like I am doing or accomplishing much of anything externally.  Internally though, my mind is racing and anxious.

Into my short-circuited work (that doesn't look much like work but is ever-so taxing) God speaks:
"Rest, my son."



Application:

I few years ago, a wise friend pointed out an eternal truth to me.  "You are waiting for all the work to be done to your standards before you rest; but, in the beginning God created human beings and invited them to work out of their rest."

This is the rhythm of life we are made for:
Rest.
Resting, root our identity in who God says we are.
Rooted, rise to love and serve God and neighbour. (repeat)

Notice that word, "rest" could be heard as a call to action that demands activity as our response.
"Phil, you know better than to be so pridefully perfectionist.  Get to work! Fix yourself! Rest!"

See how ready the accuser is ready to twist and misconstrue God's gracious gift of sabbath rest.

Thankfully, when our Father speaks to us, there is no such condemnation.  Thankfully, Creator never begins with a demand for our activity but always provides a word to clarify our identity.  Only this gospel word can gift us the freedom to respond playfully to the invitation to be who we are - no more, no less.

Do you find yourself stuck today?  Are you weary from working to earn your rest?
Listen to what God is saying to you ... :

"My beautiful child.  True humility is learning to see yourself as I see you.  
You are my good gift to the world." - Dad

Prayer:

Lord, as our day comes to completion, help us to see that You are our source and our end.
Grant us rest, that resting we may root, and rooted rise to love and serve according to Your will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment